1/5/13

Illness/Accident Report

The month of December started out pretty rough for this house. Layla and Isaac had both been a bit snotty since Thanksgiving weekend, but we really thought it was just allergies and would eventually clear up on their own. We continued our daily dose of Zyrtek and hoped for the best! On Saturday, December 1, Darren and I took the kids to Mimi and PawPaw's house for the night so we could go to Jackson to get our Christmas shopping done. Layla was a bit warm when we left, but we really didn't think much about it. Mimi checked her temp around 2:00 and it was 102.5, so she then dosed her with ibuprofen. Then, a little after 5:00, she called to let us know she had just checked her temp again and it was now 105.5. That's when this Mama went into panic mode! I called Dr. Hall and explained the situation to her and she told my mother-in-law to meet her at the clinic with Layla. After checking her out and running a couple of tests, it was determined that Layla had the flu. By that time, the pharmacies in town were closed, but thankfully Dr. Hall was able to her the meds she needed from the hospital. We headed back to Savannah to get our little ones and head back to our house for the night. Thankfully, Layla's fever broke sometime during the night and as the week went on, she recuperated pretty quickly. We sent Isaac on to school on Monday and that day went completely normal. On Tuesday, the school called me a little after 9:00 saying Isaac was complaining and saying he didn't feel good and was running a low-grade fever. I knew immediately he probably had the flu too so I called the office to see if Dr. Hall could get him in and thankfully, she said bring him on. Of course, he too had the flu so there I panicked. I needed to work this week to finish paperwork from open enrollment at work. After chatting a bit with my boss, she assured me all was fine and not to worry, that the kids came first. I knew this already, but her reassurance made me feel so much better. Me and the kids tried to make the best of our week together. We played, read books, and watched movies and even though they both seemed to bounce back super fast, they weren't allowed to return to school or daycare until Monday of the following week. Also, thankful to many prayers, Darren and I both were able to avoid being sick ourselves.
Also during this flu-filled week, Layla had an accident. I was in our bedroom folding clothes and she was coming into our room from the living room with the Ipad in tow. As she was coming through the door, she dropped the Ipad on her toe. The Ipad has an otterbox cover on it that makes it a bit heavier so I knew she was definitely in pain. 
About 30 minutes later, this is what her toe looked like.
Talk about feeling bad! I felt like the worst Mommy EVER, but thankfully she's one tough cookie and only cried about 5 minutes before she was back running around the house. Isaac had a similar incident when he was a bit younger than her when he dropped a can of spaghetti o's on his foot. His toe was so bad that eventually, his entire nail came off. Hers wasn't hit that hard though and just seems to be bruised a bit. Thank heavens for tough little girls!
The next Monday, I was so excited about going back to work! I have complete respect and admiration for full-time stay at home Moms. I love my kids dearly and would do anything in the world for them, but I need my space and grown up time too. Plus, it was nice for the kids to get back to their normal routines too. I'm just grateful the sickness hit before Christmas got here!

No comments: